We purchased an Amana side-by -side refrigerator-freezer seven years ago with an integrated water and ice dispenser. Several months ago, I awoke at night to the sound of running water. When I reached the kitchen, I saw that the appliance LCD had burned out and water was flowing from the water dispenser. A design defect allows the switch that controls the water to open when the control panel fails.

Our home has ¾ inch hardwood floors in the kitchen and adjoining living room and dining room. Unfortunately, the floor boards with the standing water bowed; where the water had gathered in the dining room, the water seeped into the boards and required replacement. The entire floor had to be refinished, stained, and sealed.

We obtained several quotes from flooring contractors and our homeowners insurance (Travelers) responded promptly with a settlement in the amount of $3,373 (total cost at $4,373 less our $1,000 deductible).

I sent a letter to Amana requesting that they cover our out of pocket costs for the $1,000. At first they seemed willing to assist and sent me information to submit a claim but after I submitted it, their attorney responded that by submitting a claim to my insurance company, I had "subrogated" (transferred my rights) to my insurance company for the claim.

In summary, do not buy an Amana refrigerator due to serious design flaws and a company who take no responsibility for damage caused by their product's failure.

Had an Experience with Amana?

Comments

Flynn, Australian Capital Territory, Australia #340070

Thanks for the tip! I'll stay clear of Amana fridges (and other products, too).